[TinyOWS-users] How to secure a layer

Olivier Courtin olivier.courtin at gmail.com
Mon May 24 03:35:08 EST 2010

On May 22, 2010, at 4:21 AM, Kbyte wrote:

> I want to use tinyows with Openlayer/Mapfish.
>
> How I can allow logged users to edit/create/delete a feature of a
> layer?

TinyOWS don't (right now ?) bother to handle users right management.

In other words, If a layer is writable, this layer is available to
every one
able to connect to TinyOWS server.

> The best is a per layer auth system, but I think I've to implement the
> user access control to a proxy or something similar.

Yes, in most Web Services architecture, a kind of proxy is set up
to handle access control.

I think that MapFish already have a kind of such proxy (python based)
You could also choose to use/extent some specific applications like

GeoPrisma :
  http://geoprisma.org/site/index.php

52 North WSS and WAS
http://52north.org/maven/project-sites/security/