[TinyOWS-users] OSM_line table and failing DescribeFeatureType

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Wed Sep 15 08:47:44 EST 2010

Olivier Courtin wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2010, at 2:25 PM, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
>

> > But sorry, I am total beginner here and I do not know what
> you mean
> > with .sql file.
>
> You're welcome :)
> I mean a way to load data into PostGIS and so to (try to) reproduce
> your issue.
>
> So the output of osm2pgsql is valuable
> You could also produce a shapefile of your table file with pgsql2shp

Hi,

Undestood now. I do believe that even it may feel inconvenient, the most
simple way to reproduse is to get osm2pgslq like described in
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Osm2pgsql
and download some OSM data as .osm.bz2 file from Geofabrik
http://download.geofabrik.de/osm/europe/
and then run osm2pgsql as
osm2pgsql -d [database_name] -p [table_name_prefix] -s datafile.osm.bz2

Some more switches may be needed, like -l for inserting OSM data in
EPSG:4326 it database does not support EPSG:900913, and perhaps
username, hostname, port etc. I recommend using -s which stands for
"slim" mode. These pages are giving also some information:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik#osm2pgsql
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Mapnik#Loading_Data

I will do some testing and try to reproduse the problem by extracting
some small amount of OSM data out to shapefiles and then back to PostGIS
but osm2pgsql is the bridge between OSM and traditional GIS and worth
having a look if the project and the data they have feel interesting.

-Jukka-