[TinyOWS-users] OSM_line table and failing DescribeFeatureType

Rahkonen Jukka Jukka.Rahkonen at mmmtike.fi
Fri Sep 17 06:57:33 EST 2010

Olivier Courtin wrote:>

> On Sep 17, 2010, at 6:28 AM, Rahkonen Jukka wrote:
>
> Hi Jukka,
>
> > Adding primary key into the table made DescribeFeatureType
> to work.
> > It might be worth a note in the user documents?
>
> It was indeed a bug related to 0.9.0
> it was already fixed in trunk,
>
> You could so have the primary key workaround or
> use the TinyOWS development version (trunk).

Thanks for the information. Primary keys are good to have so I will add
them. I guess that I may have problems if I were to make feature types
from PostGIS views with 0.9.0 version but at the moment it is enough for
me to know about that.

Right now I am trying to understand why desktop GIS clients do not just
be happy and read data from whichever WFS server. I have already noticed
that TinyOWS, Mapserver, deegree and Geoserver are all building a rather
different response on DescribeFeatureType.  Geoserver and deegree are
close to each other, though.  A snippet below shops the main difference
between TinyOWS and deegree.  The first is using "xs:" while the latter
has "xsd:".  TinyOWS defines a string attribute as
<xs:sequence>
   <xs:element name="access" type="string" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="1"/>

Deegree version looks like this:
 <xsd:sequence>
   <xsd:element name="countynbr" type="xsd:string"/>

Deegree based clients seem to require type="xsd:string"/> and they do
not parse type="string" but say that "string" is not defined. This is at
least one thing that makes TinyOWS and Mapserver WFS to fail with
deegree based clients.

-Jukka Rahkonen-