[Cartoweb-users] Slow Project more information

Alexandre Fellay alexandre.fellay at camptocamp.com
Mon Aug 8 06:01:30 EDT 2005

The most important optimization for shapefiles is the spatial indexing
using shptree. You can find the windows version (shptree.exe), along
with many other useful .exe on http://fwtools.maptools.org/. After
executing shptree on you .shp, you'll have a new file with .qix
extension that contains the spatial index.
Your files being not so huge, I don't think tiling is necessary.
Avoid unnecessary transparencies.
Another point I would try to enhance is the RAM : 384 Mo is doubtless
too light for a cartographic server if you expect correct performances.

A small detail about your mapfile: in the following layer, COLOR and
OUTLINECOLOR directly in the CLASS object are useless; these config
should be always in STYLE objects.

LAYER
  NAME a_parking
  TYPE Point