[Cartoweb-users] Trying to get property of non-object

Kenton Williams Kenton_Williams at umit.maine.edu
Tue Apr 25 08:42:33 EDT 2006

Hello,

My problem arose from permissions on my server computer.  I was transferring in files I had developed on another computer onto the server while logged in as a user other than the user who owns the web server process (Apache).  The web master user on
my server did not have permission to read the files, so no object was created, and trying to get the property of an object that doesn't exist results in an error.

Here's what I do now:

1. Always edit files and transfer files to your server while logged in as the web master user.
2. Set up a chron that changes the permissions and ownsership of all files (recursively) in the cartoweb folder so that the web master user owns all of the files and has full permissions on the files.  This chron runs every hour in case I forget and
log in with the wrong user name.
3.  Every time you make a substantial change in the setup of your project, run the cw3setup.php script with the --clean option, followed by another time running it with the --profile development.  Once the project is working, you can switch back to
normal operation.

Kenton W.