[Cartoweb-users] Trying to create a new language translation

Alexandre Saunier alexandre.saunier at camptocamp.com
Wed Feb 1 11:06:14 EST 2006

Hello,

indeed you have to write new po files named client.it.po, server.it.po,
etc. Those files are text files containing translations. You may use the
client.po, server.po files as templates (the translated strings are
empty) and copy/rename into client.it.po,...

Note that you'll have to translate strings both in cartoweb3/po (common
strings) and in cartoweb3/projects/demoCW3/po (strings dedicated to the
demoCW3 project) or in your own projects.

po2mop.php then merge the .po files and compile the gettext binary
dictionaries (.mo files).

Giorgio Plazzotta wrote:
> The manual then say to launch the php scripts that are contained in the
> /scripts folder. It's not specified unix or windows so i suppose that
> being php files they will work on both.
> I tried to launch po2mp.php or server2pot.php in order to recreate the
> .MO files. But how? I tried both calling those files from the web
> browser and also from the dos command prompt, the manual doesn't say how
> to do.

Most of the scripts work with both Linux and Windows. They cannot be
launched in your web browser. I've just added a note about that in the
manual.
Tip: only files located within htdocs/ directories (web directories) may
be called in a web browser. Everything else is either called internaly
by the webserver or in command line prompts.

> command prompt i get these errors:
> "xgettext" is not recongnized as an internal or external command, an
> exacutable program or a batch file. and later the same for msmerge.

See Oliver's comments in a previous mail.

> ps. of course if i will be able to produce compiled files in italian and
> there can be helpful for the prject manager i will be glad to send them.

That would be great! ;)

AS