[Cartoweb-users] info plz!

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Tue Sep 5 03:35:58 EDT 2006

Hi Eleftherios,

Cartoweb display the data via standart html pages and add several DHTML (javascript+html DOM manipulation) tools for navigation and other features (query, outline, edition ,measurment ,...). No plugin (flash, java, ..) are required on the user browser, though only last generation of browsers are fully supported (FF, Mozilla, IE6, Safari). IE5 and Opera works too but some feature may be unavailable.
Cartoweb use a template engine (Smarty) for easy customisation and maintenance of the page layout. The template are basically html page with some specials tag for data inclusion. You only need to know html and the basis of smarty tags, its something anybody can do.

Concerning WMS, Metadata from GetCapabilities are also available to end user with WmsBrowser Plugin GUI. Nota, no metadata from external source location are retrieved.

Im not sure I understand correctly your last question. The GUI look is done via the template, and the GUI content (tools) can be modified via config files. Any tools can be activated/deactivated easily, you dont need to know php for this. But if you want to add specials functionnalities that are not included in the current release of Cartoweb, you will have to code in php.

I hope this help you
Regards