[Cartoweb-users] query tools with different icons

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Mon Feb 5 04:55:12 EST 2007

Im no sure I understand exactly what you want to do.

You want, after a query, that it doesnt make any query, but instead open
some php file of your own?

Thats certainly possible.
You need to handle a new parameter received from the formular (radio,
checkbox or select input element, which will be used to select what action
you want) in the query plugin.

You will still need to extend the query plugin, but the modification are
certainly less complicated than before, as you dont have to handle any new
tool.

Dont worry, this may sound complicated, but it is in fact fairly easy.
I will attache some kind of exemple of extended query plugin so you can
understand better the explanation below.

First, in handleStandardParameters, recover the new parameter value with
$this->querySpecial = $this->getHttpValue($request,
'my_new_parameter_name');
(dont forget to declare $querySpecial at the beginning of the class)

since you wont use the normal query result, there is no point of triggering
the server part of the query plugin, so you can bypass the whole
buildRequest() content if your triggered your special query:

    public function buildRequest() {
      if (!$this->querySpecial) { // <- new!
      // in other words, if you didnt pass any special parameter, you need
to process the query normally
        if (!is_null($this->shape) || (!is_null($this->queryState)
      }
    }
This way you wont have a query done and not used.

Then, in the initializeResult function, you need to change:

if (empty($queryResult))
            return;

nothing will happens if you triggered the query with your special parameter.
Then we will trick the query to react even if nothing was returned from the
server side.

if (empty($queryResult) && !$this->querySpecial)
   return;

if (!$this->querySpecial) {
// here process the rest of the original function content
}

then, the last part, modify the drawQuery:

simply add somthing like:

if ($this->querySpecial) {
    $smarty->assign('specialQueryWhatever', true); // this is to activate a
template part
}

and finally, in the query.tpl (NOT the table.tpl ! as we dont have any
normal result to handle)
add the part of the code that will open a new window, pointing on your
external php file.
{if $specialQueryWhatever}
   <script ....
   </script>
{/if}

You could avoid the popup part, if you call your php file direcly from
within the extended query part.
For exemple, from the drawQuery,

if ($this->querySpecial) {
    $smarty->assign('specialQueryWhatever', true); // this is to activate a
template part
    $smarty->assign('specialQueryResult', $this->getSpecialQueryResult());
}

and a new function

private function getSpecialQueryResult() {
  require_once(path/to/your/special/query/phpfile.php');
  $specialQuery = new specialQuery(); // defined in your external php file
  $result =
$specialQuery->callSomeFunctionInSpecialQuery($this->querySpecial) // call a
function, passing the spacial query parameter
  return $result;
}

this way, the result would be displayed in Cartoweb template, below the map,
as usual and this would be transparent to the user.

Oh, dont forget to activate this new plugin in your client.ini