[Cartoweb-users] install problems for existing IIS6+Mapserver4.6.0+PHP5.1.2

Chris Duncan, GISmatters duncan at gismatters.com
Tue Jun 12 12:07:35 EDT 2007

I've been asked to work on an existing Mapserver site, including
redeploying it as a Cartoweb project. I have solid if not extensive
experience with web application development (PHP, MySQL, Mapserver, ASP,
ASP.NET), but not much experience with server setup and maintenance. After
a full 2 days of reading and experimenting, I still cannot get a basic
Cartoweb demo to run... hope I can get some pointers to get setup.

The existing configuration is Windows Server 2003, IIS 6.0, Mapserver
4.6.0, PHP 5.1.2.  There is a functioning Mapserver website running. My
first goal is to install Cartoweb and run the demos.

I downloaded cartoweb-withdemo-3.3.0.zip and unzipped it in it's own new
directory.

First of all, I cannot get the "prerequisites" going. I have copied
php_mapscript.dll to the PHP extensions directory, I have made sure that
cgi.force_redirect=0. When I go to cartoweb3 info.php I get the error
message "WARNING: can't load mapscript library".

Nonetheless, after wrestling with that problem for too long, I tried to
continue with the cartoweb install, hoping that maybe I'd gain some more
insight or ideas in the process. I executed the basic setup command:

php cw3setup.php --install --base-url
http://umaacorn.provost.ads.umass.edu/acorncw/cartoweb3/htdocs

but I get blank windows when I go to client.php or demoCW3.php... they load
but there's no HTML content.

I have tried dozens of other things - messing around with the IIS
configuration (currently it seems to be using php5isapi.dll, so I've tried
php-cgi.exe with no luck, but maybe I didn't set it up right).

I would love to have a step-by-step or a checklist to go by... but will
settle for help of any kind!  Hope someone out there with similar setup
and/or experience will lend a hand, and I'll be glad to return favors in
the future!

Cheers,

Chris

--