[Cartoweb-users] Newbie: Map data trouble

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Thu Mar 1 09:02:27 EST 2007

Hi Iain

the routing plugin comming with cartoweb will only produce the shortest path
between two point (though you can add "cost" to segment depending of some
user criterias)

you will need to extend the existing routing plugin to add some more infos.
In your case, once the path has been generated, it should be fairly easy to
get the list of "point of interest" along that path (like church) with a
geospatial query (like a buffering around each segments of the path)
Then converting all these info into "human speach" shouldnt be much
difficult either.

the main difficulty i see is probably into having road data that can be
effectively used with the pgdjkstra algorythm
I see the matter was discussed a few times on the mapserver mailinglist,
maybe you will have more details about the data preparation.
otherwise, the pgdijkstra readme.txt give most of the infos on what should
look like the imported data

hope this help

regards,
Oliver