[Cartoweb-users] make cartoweb project faster...

Fabio D'Ovidio fabiodovidio at gmail.com
Fri Oct 3 08:37:02 EDT 2008

Hello and thanks.

Oliver Christen ha scritto:
> do you really need to display all the points at once ?

Of course, no!

> I mean, when you are displaying the map at the highest extend, you
> will have countless small dots on map that mapserver has to render one
> by one but visually it doesnt offer much informations to the user
> other than the fact there are a lots of points in a certain area. The
> user will most certainly zoom in to see more in details the area of
> interest.
Sure !!

> so what you could do is generate a simplified layer which would be
> visible at higher extend and when the user zoom in you display the
> more detailed layer, that way the duration of rendering by mapserver
> will drop significantly.

Each set of points (for each couple (USER, ROLE)) is displayed only at a
spcific scale, never at full extent.

> practically for the layers which take a lot of time to render, you
> create another layer which display a simplified set of point and you
> set the minscale/maxscale of the normal layer and the simplified layer
> to follow each other.
> and in your layers.ini, instead of simply having the slow layer, you
> add a layerGroup with the option aggregate = true and the 2 layer
> (detailed and simplified) as children
>
> layers.yourlayer_group.aggregate = true
> layers.yourlayer_group.children = yourlayer, yourlayer_simplified
>
> also you need to work on your data with some aggregation treatments to
> generate a set of simplified points that will be displayed with the
> "yourlayer_simplified" layer

Ok, this is a good idea....until now I have manage points only with
MINSCALE, MAXSCALE.....

> you may also eventually limit the tooltips usage below a certain scale
> only, as I doubt it is useful to return a tooltips containing several
> hundred entries to the user

I don't use tooltips as plugin...
Anyway, thanks a lot. U always give me good suggestions :-)

--
Fabio D'Ovidio
mail: fabiodovidio at gmail.com