[Cartoweb-users] Confused about .po files

Chris Duncan, GISmatters duncan at gismatters.com
Wed Oct 15 17:30:29 EDT 2008

I am *not* trying to internationalize my application -- for our user
base and local application, there's no need to support any other
language than English.

I would like, however, to change some of the text that appears (for
example, in the tips that pop up when you hover over a tool like the
zoom-in tool).

I have tried to understand the system of .po files (defaults,
project-specific, alternate languages, sources vs. generated, etc),
but have become completely confused. I have not found enough info in
the documentation or wiki to clear up my confusion.

Could someone please provide a simple, clear, concise discussion of
the following (if you don't have lots of time to answer, then please
just skip to item (c) which is my most urgent question):

(a) When, and in what order, do .po files get used? For one thing, I'm
confused about what happens when I refresh the installation using
cw3setup vs. what happens at runtime when someone is using the site. I
see that there are *generated* .po files in the htdocs/po folder... I
assume *those* are the ones that actually provide text to the
application at runtime. But even there I find "default" and
project-specific folders and files. Where do "source" files live, and
what is the chain of processing that converts and/or merges them to
create the ones I see in htdocs/po?

(b) When do language-specific files get used? If there is both a
client.po and client.en.po file, which one gets used? What is the
interaction of the "generic" vs. the "language-specific" .po files?

(c) Last, but most important to me at this time: Suppose I wanted to
change the hover-text of the "zoom in" button to say "Choose this tool
and click on the map to zoom in" (we have some very un-savvy users!).
What specific steps do I follow to make that change in the recommended
way? My project currently has *no* po folder or files... do I copy
them from <cartowebhome>/po and then modify them? Do I need to run
server2pot.php and client2pot.php to initialize them in some way? I'm
totally lost on how to proceed...

One final detail that adds to my confusion: on my development machine
(WinXP, Apache server) I get message text like "Zoom in" or "Query by
rectangle" when I hover over the tools; when I upload my project to
the live web server (Windows Server, IIS) the tips are the message IDs
instead of the text ("zoomin", "query_by_bbox"). Why do they differ?

Thanks in advance to any of you who can help me understand this! Cheers,

Chris

--

Chris Duncan, Ph.D.
President