[Cartoweb-users] Confused about .po files

Oliver Christen oliver.christen at camptocamp.com
Thu Oct 16 02:52:55 EDT 2008

hi

po are only human readable container for the text<->translation strings

when running the cw3setup script, the .po get compilated by gettext into
binary .mo, these files are located in
cartoweb3/locale/*langcode*/LC_MESSAGES/*projectid.projectid.projectid*.mo
these are the files actualy used by gettext to do the string replacement in
real time.

the .po contains the string you want to translate.
For convenience, cartoweb include 2 scripts one can use to generate some
basic .mo for a given project: client2pot and server2pot.
These script simply look inside all the files of your project for every
strings included into I18n::gt(...) call (in php file) or into {t}...{/t}
tag (in templates files). additionaly, the server2pot also get all the
layer's labels from either the layers.ini file or the mapfile.
dynamicaly generated strings will not get "recovered" by those scripts
unless someone provided some fake/hidden {t}..{/t} or I18n::gt(...), for
example for the tools's labels.

client.po, server.*projectid*.po, server.po contain the raw (untranslated)
list of strings for a given project.
msgid "IdRecentering"
msgstr ""

client.en.po, server.*projectid*.en.po, server.en.po are COPIES!!! of the
raw .po but this time they ALSO contain the translated strings for the
corresponding language.
msgid "IdRecentering"
msgstr "Identifiers recentering"

to quickly add translations to your projects, you can easily copy the
existing .po files provided in cartoweb by default and modify them. You will
have some extra translated/unwanted strings but nothing that cant be easily
modified/removed if needed.
copy ALL the .po files into your project's po folder.
look at an existing demo /po folder to see whats there.

if you want "clean" po files, you need to run the client2pot and server2pot
scripts to generate the RAW po files for your project and then COPY these
files and rename them with the extra 2 letters lang tag (.po > .en.po) and
EDIT them to add the translations for all the strings you want.
I would suggest moving/deleting all .po existing in cartoweb3/po/ BEFORE
doing that, as if some .po already exist, the script will try to merge their
content with the newly extracted content, which may be problematic.
so once you have emptied the /po folder, go to /cartoweb3/scripts/ and run
the command "php client2pot.php *yourprojectid*" and "php server2pot.php
*yourprojectid*"

if you see  ("zoomin", "query_by_bbox") it means the strings are NOT
translated.
check that gettext is installed and that it works correctly (see
documentation on how to test that
http://www.cartoweb.org/doc/cw3.5/xhtml/user.i18n.html#user.i18n.translations.debug)
restart Apache too.
gettext is a bit buggy and sometimes you need to restart Apache to see the
modification you did in the .po files even after you have run the cw3setup
script to generate the .mo