[Cartoweb-users] Confused about .po files

Chris Duncan, GISmatters duncan at gismatters.com
Fri Oct 17 00:56:45 EDT 2008

Hi Oliver,

Thanks so much for your patient and clarifying response. Using what
you wrote and going through the Cartoweb documentation and the web
again, I now realize something which was not obvious to me before:
that the whole text translation scheme is a widely-used method, not
limited just to Cartoweb... Since I have never developed with these
tools or with internationalization before, I did not know about Gnu
gettext and the po/mo files; I thought it was something special to
Cartoweb. Now I can read the gettext documentation to understand much
more.

One thing is still not quite clear to me: do I need to worry about
gettext, po/mo files, and all of that if I just want to change some
pieces of text *without translation* (the example I used last night is
changing the zoomin tool hover text from "Zoom In" to "Choose this
tool and click on the map to zoom in")?  I think the answer is "yes"
-- even though I am not trying to internationalize or translate or
localize the text, I think I must create po files and add my new text
as the "translation" for the "zoomin" msgid. Is that correct?

One reason I am still confused on this point is that every reference
to text and messages in the Cartoweb documentation talks about
*translation*. There are lots of places that say, more or less, "If
you need to translate this, you will need gettext... etc". I am not
translating anything, so at first I thought none of those discussions
applied to my situation, but now I think that changing the default
text is basically the same process as translating. Is this correct?

I will continue my reading and then try to make sense of your examples
and suggestions. Thanks again for starting to point me in the right
direction. And thanks to you and Bruno for pointing out that gettext
is apparently needed but not working or not available on my live web
server... I will look into that problem after I get my development
system correctly changing the text I'm working on.

Cheers,

Chris

Chris Duncan, Ph.D.
President