[Cartoweb-users] Cartoweb Linux Migration

Bruno Friedmann bruno at ioda-net.ch
Mon Sep 29 07:40:32 EDT 2008

Asamer Hubert (grafotech) wrote:
> Hello List,
> I want to migrate my cartoweb-project to the linux version. Currently i
> am using win2003 server. (MS4W)
> In the future i will use debian 4.0r4 >etch<  (Apache 2.x , Mapserver
> 5.x , Postgres 8.1 and PHP 5.x)
> Are there any important things to think about, or is it only an adaption
> of pathnames....
> Our new server is a Quad-Core with a RAID 05 (SAS-15000rpm)
> Has anybody performance reports for cartoweb on linux? (Maybe compared
> to windows?)
> Thanks for answers,
> Hubert

As Oliver said : the only trouble would be your data issue from postgres/postgis.

You can't simply use a dump / restore.

If you are able to reinject the data from outside it's much better and safe to initialize an empty db, create the postgis
table/function stuff and inject data.

If you can't ... You have to edit the dump and find/replace all postgis.dll by the relevant .so equivalent.
( think to sed under your new server )

There's also a diff between x86 32bits and x86-64 as postgis under 64bits are stored under /usr/lib64/

Perf are very good. But you are with a raid-5 which is not the quickest layout for perf but this is dependent to many factor
( raid controller, kernel version, drivers, chunck-size, filesystem and so on ... )

--

     Bruno Friedmann