[Cartoweb-users] hierarchy or mask solution for client side

Simone Frigerio simone.frigerio at univie.ac.at
Wed Dec 1 08:47:11 EST 2010

  Hi,
I have a "logical" question about quick access to maps.
I have quite huge series of switches/block menu (more layergroups). I
have to choose a solution with large rasters (region) and different
masks (municipality) or use different raster "cut" on municipality scale.
Example from layer.ini:

SWITCH1:
Children:
layers.background16.className = LayerGroup
layers.background16.label = TOPOGRAPHY
layers.background16.rendering = block
layers.background16.children = BARTopo

Children
layers.BARTopo.className = LayerGroup
layers.BARTopo.label = "Creation date - Resolution - Producer"
layers.BARTopo.rendering = tree
; 1) layers.BARTopo.children = regiotopo1931, regiotopo1943,
regiotopo1956, regiotopo1963, regiotopo1980, regiotopo1989, maskbar
; 2) layers.BARTopo.children = BARtopo1931, BARtopo1943, BARtopo1956,
BARtopo1963, BARtopo1980, BARtopo1989

The last two lines are two potential solutions:
1) I use the regional topomap with a mask for BAR area (municipality
level). I repeat the same for every municipality using same regional
layers but different masks, hidden and selected.
2) Raster from regional scale cut in "local" scale.

PROS and CONS:
- I can use only one single raster in mapfile and layer.ini (e.g.:
regiotopo1931 (quite heavy file)) with different masks (small files and
useful for all the layers). Repeat the same for the rest of raster using
same masks.
- i can use several rasters cut on local scale in mapfile and layer.ini
(e.g.: BARtopo1931). There are more files but lighter.

I have a huge list, how is the best way to manage it?
Thanks!
Simo