MapTools.org

[Chameleon] adding several layers from the same external WMS

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Wed, 17 Dec 2003 17:47:01 -0500
Yes, we have discussed this performance enhancement internally because
of issues another client was having with performance.  The intention, I
believe, is to implement the combining 'automagically' in mapserver wms
client code, it would detect that more than one layer is coming from the
same wms server in the same projection etc and would combine the
requests if possible (i.e. if the layers are together).  I don't know if
there is a bug in mapserver bugzilla on this or not, but I suspect there
is ... in fact it is bug 116, and it has been marked P1 for version 4.1
which means that it should get implemented in time for the next release
sometime before March (hopefully).

I have cc'd Bart on this bug.

Re the combining of layers in a context, I know this works because I
have been using it recently.  However, it does cause some funny side
effects, like layer transparency doesn't seem to work correctly.

I would recommend that you create a bug in chameleon on maptools
regarding the interaction with the upload/download context and I will
try to take a look at it before the release.