MapTools.org

[Chameleon] What does chameleon do?

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde@xs4all.nl
Wed, 24 Dec 2003 09:32:27 +0100
Hi,

basically Chameleon is being fed a HTML template with special tags in it,
you can recognize them by "CWC". A zoom-in tool for instance is a widget
and is recognized by the CWC in the HTML template. The basic unit of
Chameleon is the widget, the HTML template is a collection of widgets.

Chameleon interprets this template and creates HTML and javascript, which
will turn into a full-featured web mapping client.

Also, it needs to know which map layers to draw, that's the second
configuration element, so always a Mapserver MAP file which you can create
with Maplab if you want (or a Web Map Context document, but this is
harder), is needed.

In the index.phtml of your sample application both the HTML template and
the MAP file are linked. This is specific for Chameleon 1.1 and was
different in Chameleon 1.0 (which had a service instance which interpreted
templates instead of one application per HTML template/MAP file
combination).

In short you could say Chameleon is the toolkit to easily build webmapping
clients, which could be configured by someone who knows HTML.

You can see an example at:

http://mapsherpa.dmsolutions.ca/hawaii2/

Hope this helps.