MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Trying to get Chameleon Installed - round 2

woodbri@swoodbridge.com woodbri@swoodbridge.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 09:41:44 -0500
Hi all,

I'm trying to get Chameleon installed and grabbed the latest tar
files from maptools.org. Running RH8.0, PHP-4.3.2-rc2, MS 4.0
(probably pre-release).

I have narrowed down my problems with the sample applications to the
following two:

1) I get a Server 500 error that is being caused by the Scalebar
widget. If i change the cwc2 tag to cwc3 on the scalebar widget the
page loads fine without the scalebar, but leave it as cwc2 and it
dies.

2) I can not get the key map to display. I thought it might be a path
problem so I set the IMAGE= tag to the absolute web path (not file
system path), but that didn't work. and when I look at the page
source it is calling drawmap.php to generate the image which seems
strange if you are passing an image location.

A couple of other comments on installing the chameleon that are
probably just the fact that I didn't read all of the docs on
installing it, but I think you should clean these up anyway to make
it more user friendly:

1) you have a lot of hard coded paths in the code and the sample app,
just grep for ms4w. I think I found occurrences in the map file,
index.phtml, session.php

2) you also have assumptions that the sample images are located at
/chameleon_demo/images but the sample untar's into
chameleon_sample/htdocs/images which does not have to be at the users
web root as is my case.

I would recommend moving these definitions into one file that you can
tell the user to edit as part of the install process.

So I got farther than last time, and any suggestions on debugging the
Scalebar issue would be appreciated.

Thanks for providing a very cool product,
  -Stephen Woodbridge