MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Searches, Buffers and Choropleth Maps

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Thu, 01 Apr 2004 13:58:24 -0500
Darren,

I think that I understand what you are looking for.  Unfortunately most
of what you are looking for it not yet in Chameleon.  Some responses
follow in line ...

Darren.Cope@statcan.ca wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I've been working with the CWC2 application from the MS4W package for
> the last few weeks.  I have a demo set up which displays some of our own
> data, and allows me to perform many of the basic functions I need.
> However, I am researching the feasibility of some more advanced
> functionality, and am not finding much to suit my needs.  I have
> searched the archive, and found some snippets of information, but never
> enough to help me pull everything together.  I am currently using
> shapefiles as a data source.
>
> I would like to know if the following are possible, and if so, how I
> would go about implementing them:
>
> - do searches based on my own data, rather than the CGDI-based (i.e..
> postal code, locality, nts) searches.  I would like to do searches based
> on one field (e.g. find a street name), and multiple fields (possibly in
> different layers) (e.g. find a city in a specific province).  Is there a
> widget which I could modify easily in order to do such a search?
> Someone out there must have a widget which does this?

There is no widget that does this but one has been discussed a couple of
times.  We just haven't had a specific application to implement one for
it yet.

The place name lookup in the locate widget actually uses a dbf file
locally to do the lookup I think, and since a shape file has a dbf file,
you could start there.

There is certainly support in mapscript for doing a query by attribute,
and it shouldn't be too difficult to write a widget to use this function
internally.  Most widgets are wrapped around a specific piece of
internal mapscript functionality like this.  I'm guessing the tricky
part is in defining the requirements of the widget.  It's pretty easy to
implement something for a specific application but it gets more
difficult to design something intended for general use.

> - search based on topology (e.g. find the intersection of two streets)

nothing like this exists nor is in the works.  Unfortunately, it is
difficult to this type of thing in a web based application.

> - create a circular buffer around a user-selected point (where user
> clicks on the map) with a user-entered radius

There are tools for creating regions of interest, and there is one that
allows the user to define a circular region by clicking a point and
dragging a radius ...

> - select and highlight a feature when it is "identified," and retain
> this selection until the user clears it

There is an ROIFeatureTool that allows turning a feature into a region
of interest and it is persistent until cleared, but I doubt that is what
you want.

> - display a choropleth map (without hard-coding the ranges in the .map
> file)

we have been working on tools to allow user-classification of layers,
but it doesn't have a lot of automated features yet.  I suspect it would
probably too limited for now, but it may improve over time and allow for
different types of generation of classes and automating application of
styles etc.

> Do I need to use something like PostGIS or GeoServer do accomplish these
> tasks?  If so, how do these work with Chameleon/MapServer?

probably not unless you need an application that can modify the data, in
which case they may be better suited.  Except perhaps for searching
based on topology, I think postgis would be more efficient and
feature-full in that area.

> I am very new to all of this, and have very little programming
> knowledge, so please keep this in mind.
>
> I realize that I am asking a lot of questions, so thanks in advance for
> any help!

no problem.  The features that you are looking for are common in desktop
GIS but, in my experience, not available in most or all web GIS systems
yet.  Web GIS is getting better and better, but this is still just
outside the envelope I think.

|Paul Spencer                           pspencer@dmsolutions.ca   |