[Chameleon] Query Widget and WMS layers added via WMSBrowser widget

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Sun Dec 12 20:43:08 EST 2004

Ken,

Unfortunately, WMS gives you no indication of the actual type of data
that is being rendered for any given layer.  If there is a WFS
associated with the WMS, it is possible to do a DescribeLayer request to
find the WFS server and typename, then attempt to establish the data
type from the WFS server, but even this is not guaranteed as WFS doesn't
require that the data be homogeneous (i.e. all the same type, so you can
have mixed points and polygons).

So in most cases, the TYPE of a WMS layer is set to RASTER because, as
far as MapServer is concerned, it is a RASTER that it is dealing with.
Before 4.0, this was actually mandatory.  It changed to allow other than
RASTER types to aid in SLD processing (actually, to allow creation of
classes on WMS layers that are automatically turned into an SLD when
requesting the layer).

The type of a WMS layer should not affect its 'queryability' ... I think
this is a sufficient test case to post as a bug on the mapserver
bugzilla ... post your layer definition and a query string that
passes/fails when the layer type changes.