MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Calling Data from Local Drives

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 09:04:16 -0500
Aaron,

with chameleon 1.0.4 on windows 2000, it is not possible to include
local data directly.  Chameleon 1.0.4 is an 'OGC-only' version, which
means that it works with Context files.  Context files can only refer to
WMS layers.

It is possible to do what you want by first adding a WMS service to
serve up your local data as WMS, then building the context to point to
the data in this WMS service.  There are descriptions of how to do this
on the MapServer web site:

(http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc40/wms-server-howto.html)

Constructing a context by hand is a little trickier, but you can start
with an existing one (like the gmap_context.xml distributed with
Chameleon 1.0.4) and you will see pretty quickly how to edit it I think.

Chameleon 1.1 removes this restriction by working directly with
MapServer map files which can refer to both local and OGC data sources.