MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Chameleon 2.0

Paul Spencer spencer@dmsolutions.ca
Thu, 05 Feb 2004 08:56:56 -0500
Bart,

a simple request with a complex answer :)  Unfortunately, I am not yet
in a position to answer it quickly.  But I am trying to put aside some
time in the next two weeks to sort this out.

In general, however, the following things will be done:

1. Widget Packs - widgets are going to be organized into Packs that will
be separately versioned and released, simplifying our QA tasks somewhat
by limiting the scope of what needs to be done.  In conjunction with
this, we have built a web-based installation system that will assist in
maintaining a chameleon installation by providing in-place upgrades of
widget packs, installing and uninstalling packs.  This is based on PEAR,
the PHP Extension Archive Repository code that ships standard with PHP
now.  Also included in this is the ability to have multiple versions of
widgets installed for testing purposes ... more on that when we finish
the docs

2. Widget Documentation - the original documentation system was pretty
cool as it allowed you to generate widget documentation and reference
guide directly from the code.  But our first cut at this was not very
flexible and we quickly determined that it wasn't really serving our
needs well.  It could not easily support multilingual documentation, and
it couldn't easily be expanded to include documentation on new features
or even some existing features.  We are in the process of rebuilding the
documentation system to use XML files (one per widget now) that will
combine all widget documentation into a single location.  The XML
structure will support multiple languages.  It is the source for both an
end-user online help system, an application developer's widget reference
system, and a widget developer's reference.  There will be utilities to
generate and maintain the XML structure from the widget code, but the
documentation will still have to be written ;)

3. Javascript Enhancements - there is a fundamental design flaw in how
Chameleon uses javascript, and the most noticeable effect of that is the
  CPU useage when the user moves the mouse over the page but not on the
map.  Other less noticeable effects relate to how some tools like the
ruler, the pan map and zoom in are affected if the tool is activated and
then the mouse leaves the map area.  There is also a lot of javascript
code that gets embedded directly in the page rather than loaded as a
separate js file (for browser caching performance).  Finally, there is
really no way to avoid including javascript for lightweight clients.
The Javascript Enhancements are focussed on addressing some or all of
these issues.  Since performance is a big part of this work, we can't
really say how much better it will get ... but I can say that it will
improve substantially for most users.

4. QA - we have done quite a bit of work on defining QA processes at
DMSG and we will be applying those processes (in part) to pieces of
Chameleon as they get released.  There will be an automated test suite
for testing individual widgets, and there will be a set of functional
tests.  The automated tests will be available separately, and the
functional tests will be released as part of a community QA program on
the maptools site.  The intention is for us to release better quality
stuff to the community, but also for the community to provide more
structured feedback to us for quality purposes.  I think everyone
recognizes the large number of variable factors in building
applications, and Chameleon is no different.  Internal testing can only
identify obvious problems on systems similar to ours.  By including the
community, we hope to leverage their systems and configurations to make
Chameleon more stable for everyone.

5. New widgets - there are a whole bunch of new widgets that have been
added for clients such as yourself.  Some are extremely useful to a wide
  variety of people, but most will be applicable only to a smaller
subset.  More on this when we get closer.

Hope that helps answer your questions,

Paul