MapTools.org

[Chameleon] Development Time

Rene Teniere TENIERER@gov.ns.ca
Thu, 15 Jan 2004 11:21:18 -0400
Hi Faye,

I have been working on my chameleon site for almost 2 weeks now, and I
am almost there VIA included widgets. It is all a question of getting
familiar with the supplied documentation (in the chameleon/html/ folder)
to properly pass the required variables. Not everything runs smoothly,
however, that is what this support list and search is for. This is a
fairly new product, so everyone is working together to uncover and solve
all the problems encountered for the next release.

As for MapServer, it depends on what platform, web server and servlet
you are running. MapServer alone will not run chameleon. You have to
have other software installed as well. All of this takes time to get set
up and working properly. I suggest you go to:
http://www.maptools.org/chameleon/index.phtml and
http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/ for the required documentation on
installations for your specific platform.

Rene

Rene J.R. Teniere - BSc., D.GIS
GIS Technician
Nova Scotia Department of Natural Resources
Forestry Division (GIS) - Truro

Phone: (902) 893-5655
Mobile: (902) 209-8956

>>> "Faye Cowie" <ardw@nbnet.nb.ca> 2004-01-15 10:41:50 AM >>>
Good Morning,

It sounds like Chameleon allows the deployment of web mapping
applications fairly quickly. But can someone give me examples of
development time assuming the spatial data is ready to be served and
only existing widgets are used, no new ones developed.

What about MapServer? How much time is typically required to get it
set
up.

Thanks in advance.

Faye