[Chameleon] Locate widget bindings

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Nov 10 21:34:36 EST 2004

Tom,

thanks for the feedback.  I think your offer is great, and I guess I am
the logical one to integrate the changes :)  I think that we need to
make some substaintial changes to how the locate widget is structured to
allow for basically any number of locators to be included.

By default, I think that the widget should not show any locators in the
popup.

The application designer can choose which locators to show by including
subtags in the widget.  Something like:

<service type="CGNS" label="Places in Canada"/>

type:

string, required, restricted to the built in types documented in the widget.

label:

string, required, the label to display for this service

help:

string, optional?, some informative text about the service to be
displayed when the service is selected (perhaps)

other attributes would be determined by the service type.

The popup interface would likely change to a single input, a select box
to choose the service, and a single button to search.  Or something like
that :)

This would make it easier to add new services and also to translate the
interface for multi-lingual applications.

There is an API for adding a new service, it would be documented to
allow others to build their own locators/geocoders and integrate them.

Tom, if you provide the locators, I can work on the interface part of
this.  However, it won't be done for 1.99, the change is too substantial
to include at this point.