[Chameleon] Does chameleon have a WMS CLIENT?

Roland G. roland at gisplan.com.br
Tue Nov 23 11:46:44 EST 2004

Paul Spencer wrote:
> I am curious about your level of knowledge of WMS ... I assumed since
> you were so adamant about needing to use WMS that you would be familiar
> with the basic concepts.  Are you really sure that you must use WMS? Are
> you aware of the pro's and con's?  Seems to me that you may need to do
> some more reading before choosing a client library for your application.

Thanks for asking. Well it's true that I'm new in this field, I was
recently hired by a GIS company and my first task here is to find and
compare the available free software WMS-clients for one of our
customers. The customer demanded a WMS-client, but maybe an approach
like Chameleon would be better, since you have to set up a server to
serve the client from anyway. I'm really not that much aware of the
pro's and con's and I'm trying to learn on the way. I think of the
clients that I have analyzed so far, Chameleon is unique in it's approach.

Besides Chameleon these are the other options I'm considering so far:

MapBuilder(warning, may crash your browser, use with caution! Don't zoom
more than twice):
http://quicklook.ccrs.nrcan.gc.ca/mapbuilder/demo/complete.html

Mapbender:
http://wms.ccgis.de/mapbender2/frames/login.php?name=ccgis_de&password=ccgis_de&mb_user_myGui=CCGIS