[Chameleon] Can Chameleon do Cascading WMS?

Paul Spencer pagameba at magma.ca
Mon Oct 4 08:31:49 EDT 2004

Ken,

these questions are more appropriate on the mapserver-users mailing list.

Re WMS and projections, mapserver will try to request a layer from a
remote wms in the same projection that it is using for output.  If that
projection is not available, mapserver will request the layer in the
first projection it finds that it understands, and then reproject the
raster locally ... this is non-optimal both in performance and
appearance, but it does open up a much greater range of WMSs to you.

There is no default projection that all WMSs support

Cascading WMS refers to a a WMS Server that advertises a layer in its
capabilities that is actually hosted on a different WMS Server.  In this
case, the layer from the different WMS Server is 'cascaded' through the
first WMS server.  This has nothing to do with projections and automatic
reprojection.