[Chameleon] search attributes -> zoom to result

Jacob Delfos jacob.delfos at maunsell.com
Mon Oct 18 22:26:26 EDT 2004

Hi all,

I'm trying to create the functionality of searching a layer for an attribute value, and then zooming to the object (I know there have been many posts about this... sorry... I couldn't actually find a solution).

I got the searching part figured out; I put an iframe in my template, which holds a page that allows for selecting a layer to search, and then searches for the searchstring in all the attributes of that layer. I'm actually running this independently of the rest of the site (the page does not get submitted for a search, only the iframe is). I store the extent in the attributes, and use javascript to make the mapimage zoom to the extent of the objects(s) it has found. My problem is how to get the real spatial extent of the object. I'm using a basic php script that finds out the name of the dataset, opens its dbf, and searches the attributes. I suppose this is not ideal, since it does not interface with chameleon. It's kind of patchy.

What is the easiest way to get an object's extent, if I know its sequential position in the dataset? I would prefer not to have to submit the whole page....

Any tips will be much appreciated.

Jacob

JACOB DELFOS
SPATIAL INFORMATION ANALYST