[Chameleon] Problem with Scale widget

Paul Spencer pagameba at magma.ca
Wed Sep 22 12:51:46 EDT 2004

Berend,

I'm not sure that the scale widget can zoom to an exact scale.  The
scale is the relationship between units on the screen and units on the
ground.  The scale calculations in mapserver take into account several
factors, and the end result is an approximation of ground scale based on
several assumptions concerning the dpi of the display and the distance
of 1 degree at a given latitude (to name a couple).  So when zooming to
a particular scale, this calculation is, in effect, reversed to
determine how many ground units will fit inside a pixel and then the
extents are set to match some approximation of this.

That being said, I don't think the discrepancy should be as big as you
are indicating here so perhaps there is a problem.  Please file a bug
about this and I will try to take a look at it.

Cheers,

PAul