[Chameleon] WMS Layer Selector

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Apr 19 16:21:48 EDT 2005

Tim,

Pascoe,Tim [Burlington] wrote:
>         Is there a way of incorporating something like the WMSBrowser
> widget in an application, without having to implement a popup style of
> window/interface? I would like to be able to provide a static list of
> available WMS servers, and allow users to select layers from each of
> these servers depending on their needs.

no, currently the WMSBrowser is only available as a popup.  There is no
other widget that exists (AFAIK) that would do this either :(

>         If this is not possible, is there a way to incorporate multiple
> WMS layer names into a single layer object within a map file? WMS
> servers for both British Columbia and Ontario provide a great deal of
> information, but I do not want to have 100+ layer objects in my map file
> to manage.

yes.  you can set the wms_name metadata on a WMS layer to be a
comma-separated list of names.  They all have to come from the same
server.  Alternately, you can add LAYERS=layer1,layer2,layer3 to the URL
you provide as the connection in the map file.

>         On a related note (perhaps this would be more appropriate in the
> MapServer list), if there are a great deal of layers in the map file,
> will the implementation of a wms_extent metadata tag keep MapServer from
> making a request to the WMS server, if the layer is outside of the
> requested map extent?

you are right, this is a mapserver list question ... I don't really know
the answer :)