[Chameleon] Chameleon 2.0 Final Release

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jan 11 16:19:44 EST 2005

Chameleon 2.0 Release

This is the final release of Chameleon 2.0.  This marks the culmination
of many months of effort by many people, both at DM Solutions Group and
in the larger community of Chameleon users.  I won't thank anyone
individually in case I miss someone, so a big thanks goes out to
everyone ... you know who you are!

Downloads are available (or will be shortly) at
http://chameleon.maptools.org/.for linux and Windows, and at
http://www.maptools.org/ms4w for MS4W.

As a side note for those interested in Chameleon's performance, we
recently had an opportunity to do some live stress testing.  Our Tsunami
portal (http://www.mapsherpa.com/tsunami) was built using Chameleon (in
only a few days) and quickly gathered a lot of attention.  After a brief
panic (we've only used Chameleon for relatively low-traffic
applications), we realized everything was holding up well.  Based on
this experience and some load stress testing, we are now confident that
Chameleon is reasonably suitable for moderately high-use applications
(in the order of several thousand hits per hour).  There's still loads
of stuff that could be optimized and streamlined, but even without these
tweaks, the performance is pretty decent.

Chameleon Community Launched:

I would also like to announce the launching of a Chameleon community
site to be hosted on MapTools.org and maintained by the community.  This
site has been planned for a while, and it's finally here.  The site is
built on TikiWiki technology and Liz Godwin is the official maintainer.
  Liz will be granting user accounts and moderating the content.  DM
Solutions Group will be contributing/monitoring content and forum
discussions and reviewing the site for content that should make its way
into the official documentation on a periodic basis.  We hope that
having a community site that is run by community members will provide a
non-threatening environment for users of all experience levels to
cooperate, share ideas, and provide excellent feedback.  Thanks for all
the hard work, Liz.

Documentation Updates:

The initial version of the widget documentation is now ready.  This
includes "empty" documentation for all widgets and complete
documentation for about 26 core widgets.  Even the empty documentation
is useful, though, since it lists all the widget attributes, form
variables, and JavaScript.  We'll continue working in the coming weeks
to flesh out the documentation for most of the widgets that we use on a
daily basis. These additions will be available through CVS and through
point releases of the 2.0 series.

The widget documentation is available through the new Chameleon Help
Viewer application.  This is available via a web browser by accessing
the help folder of the chameleon installation, probably something like
http://localhost/chameleon/help/.

The help viewer is styled on the JavaDoc help viewer.  This is our first
aatempt and we have many new features planned (but no time to implement
them for this release).  Eventually, all Chameleon documentation will be
managed by and accessible through the help viewer.

You can access the HTML version of the help documentation directly in
the html folder of the help application.  These HTML files are
pre-generated from the XML files found in each of the widget
directories.  Depending on your system configuration (specifically, if
you have the php_xslt extension available), you may be viewing the HTML
files or the source XML files through XSLT.  In general, it is not
necessary to view the source XML files unless you are editing them.  If
you do need to access the XML files, copy help.xml-dist to help.xml in
chameleon/htdocs/help and set the

Finally, the release notes.  Not much has changed since the first
Release Candidate, always a good sign that things are finally stable.

Changes

The documentation files were updated for the final release.  Also, the
Installation Guide has been updated for Windows/IIS installations.

bug 911: MapDHTML
   added BORDERCOLOR and BORDERWIDTH attributes.

bug 374: sample_basic
   added a help page using the EmbeddedHelp widget under the Tools tab.

Bug Fixes

bug 890: ProjectionLabel
   removed strtoupper on widget class and widgetstyle so that they use
the exact case provided by the user instead of forcing uppercase.

bug 900: chameleon.xml
   for the ms4w distribution, use mapserver 4.4 by default now

no bug: cwc_events.js
   added test on registered functions to ensure that parameters are not
added twice to a function.

bug 920: Button.php
   fix problem with dynamically generated buttons if textbuttoncache is
set to true.

no bug: drawmap.php
   removed a debug statument when drawing the keymap that was causing an
invalid image to be returned to the browser in some cases.

bug 918: session.php
   removed a debug statement from the garbage collection function (_gc)
that caused the garbage collection to fail on non-windows machines.

bug 889: MapSize and ContextSelector
   added a Label object to each widget for consistency.