[Chameleon] Preinstall questions, for Unix and PHP 5

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Wed Jun 22 08:26:10 EDT 2005

Hi Gregor,

the most common problem with setting up Chameleon is actually in getting
all the required packages installed first.

You will need:

apache
php configured as a CGI
mapserver
php/mapscript
proj

and possibly others like postgis, geos etc if you use those.

If you are reasonably certain that these things are all installed
correctly, you should be able to install very quickly:

1) extract tar ball

2) modify your httpd configuration to create the necessary aliases

/chameleon/samples -> chameleon/samples/htdocs
/chameleon/admin -> chameleon/admin/htdocs
/chameleon -> chameleon/htdocs

for instance, you could use the following:

Alias /chameleon/admin "/opt/chameleon/admin/htdocs"
<Directory "/opt/chameleon/admin/htdocs/">
   AllowOverride None
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /chameleon/samples "/opt/chameleon/samples/htdocs"
<Directory "/opt/chameleon/samples/htdocs">
   AllowOverride None
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

Alias /chameleon "/opt/chameleon/htdocs"
<Directory "/opt/chameleon/htdocs">
   AllowOverride None
   Options Indexes FollowSymLinks Multiviews
   Order allow,deny
   Allow from all
</Directory>

there are several others you can set up, but these will do the trick.

3) edit chameleon/config/chameleon.xml to make sure that the paths are
correct.  Important settings are:

web_server_path ... this will be the first part of the third alias that
you set up (/chameleon in this case)

mapscript_module ... this is the file name that you php_mapscript module
has.  Do not include any path, just the name (including extension).

button_cache_path ... file system path to where buttons should be created

button_cache_web_path ... web path to same location.

(note I usually create /tmp/ms_tmp and symlink it to /var/www/htdocs so
that /ms_tmp is a web-accessible location, then put the buttons inside
this directory /tmp/ms_tmp/buttons with a web path of /ms_tmp/buttons)

tmp_img_path ... file system path to a web accessible temp directory for
temporary images created by mapserver (/tmp/ms_tmp in the above example)

tmp_web_path ... web path to same location (/ms_tmp in above example)

maturity_level ... by default is BETA you may need to change to ALPHA or
UNKNOWN if some widgets don't work in the more advanced samples.

At this point, you should be able to load the sample applications via

http://localhost/chameleon/samples

if they don't appear, check your aliases and restart apache.  If they
appear but are broken some how, contact the list with symptoms.

I've written this from memory without consulting the installation docs.
  If this works for you then I'll try to update the docs with whatever
is missing.

Cheers

Paul