[Chameleon] Chameleon installation woes

Rhys Ickeringill rhysi at omnilink.com.au
Sun Mar 6 23:20:31 EST 2005

Hi All,

I'm unsucessfully trying to get Chameleon working on my linux system.
Presently I'm close, but not quite there. All the "Basic Widget" sample
pages are working correctly bar the reference map not displaying. I *think*
I have traced that to the fact that I've disabled all projection related
keywords in the chameleon.map file (I don't have the Canadian projections
which is used in this map file - what's 42304's projection type and
parameters?).

The "Enhanced Widgets" sample "Widgets from the Enhancesd Widget Group"
fails to work at all. I get the message:
"Fata error: [MapServer Error]: msProcessProjecrtion(): projection not named
in /usr/local/chameleon/htdocs/widgets/TrueNorth/TrueNorth.widget.php on
line 124

Looking at the code in TrueNorth.widget.php, I'm guessing line 121 is meant
to catch this error, but isn't.

The "Bilingualisation" and "XML Theme Legend" samples work as they should,
bar the reference map problem outlined above.

But most puzzling of all, I've followed the instructions in the Chameleon
online help "Installation Guide" and set up the sample page from the
"Application Developers Guide"  to test everything is working properly
(actually this is the first thing I did, I tried the sample pages
afterwards, but I digress). Sadly all I get is an empty document -
specifically a pair of HTML and BODY tags. The only changes I've made to the
samples provided are to update the include path for chameleon.php and
commenting out the projection related keywords from the map file.

Is all of this pointing to a configuration issue of some kind? If not, what
else can I try to get Chameleon to spit out this demo page correctly?

On an asside, I've noticed in my peeking around in the Chameleon code that
many of the modules are incorrectly named (or my system is strange). eg.
there is code to test whether the "gd" PHP module is loaded, and if it
isn't, Chameleon attempts to load module "php_gd.so". On my system at least,
this module is called just "gd.so"...

Some system config info in case it's useful:

Linux 2.4.29 (Slackware 10.1)
Apache 1.3.33
PHP 4.3.10
Mapserver 4.4.1