[Chameleon] Chameleon installation woes

Paul Spencer pspencer at dmsolutions.ca
Mon Mar 7 08:45:34 EST 2005

Rhys, comments inline ...

Rhys Ickeringill wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm unsucessfully trying to get Chameleon working on my linux system.
> Presently I'm close, but not quite there. All the "Basic Widget" sample
> pages are working correctly bar the reference map not displaying. I *think*
> I have traced that to the fact that I've disabled all projection related
> keywords in the chameleon.map file (I don't have the Canadian projections
> which is used in this map file - what's 42304's projection type and
> parameters?).

um ... this is a bit of a problem, in the future I'm going to remove
projections from the distributed data.  In the mean time, you can get an
updated epsg file from:

http://www.maptools.org/dl/

and get either of:

proj4-epsg-with-42xxx-and-esri.zip
proj4-epsg-with-42xxx.zip

just unzip the file and replace your existing epsg file (locate epsg)

> The "Enhanced Widgets" sample "Widgets from the Enhancesd Widget Group"
> fails to work at all. I get the message:
> "Fata error: [MapServer Error]: msProcessProjecrtion(): projection not named
> in /usr/local/chameleon/htdocs/widgets/TrueNorth/TrueNorth.widget.php on
> line 124
>
> Looking at the code in TrueNorth.widget.php, I'm guessing line 121 is meant
> to catch this error, but isn't.

this could be a bug.  Try the epsg file first and if this persists,
please report again :)

> The "Bilingualisation" and "XML Theme Legend" samples work as they should,
> bar the reference map problem outlined above.
>
> But most puzzling of all, I've followed the instructions in the Chameleon
> online help "Installation Guide" and set up the sample page from the
> "Application Developers Guide"  to test everything is working properly
> (actually this is the first thing I did, I tried the sample pages
> afterwards, but I digress). Sadly all I get is an empty document -
> specifically a pair of HTML and BODY tags. The only changes I've made to the
> samples provided are to update the include path for chameleon.php and
> commenting out the projection related keywords from the map file.

depending on how you have configured PHP, your error messages may be
going into the apache error log.  We need an error message somewhere to
figure this out.

> Is all of this pointing to a configuration issue of some kind? If not, what
> else can I try to get Chameleon to spit out this demo page correctly?

perhaps it is just the epsg issue?  Lets solve that and then see if this
is still a problem.

> On an asside, I've noticed in my peeking around in the Chameleon code that
> many of the modules are incorrectly named (or my system is strange). eg.
> there is code to test whether the "gd" PHP module is loaded, and if it
> isn't, Chameleon attempts to load module "php_gd.so". On my system at least,
> this module is called just "gd.so"...

sadly this is true.  On windows, all extensions are built as modules and
named 'php_xxxx.dll'.  On linux, extensions are normally built into php.
  I have recently discovered that on linux, if you build extensions as
modules, the names will be without the leading 'php_'

I had hoped to keep the code to ensure modules are loaded fairly tight,
hence:

if (!extension_loaded('gd'))
   dl( 'php_gd.'.PHP_SHLIB_SUFFIX);

now I will have to look into trying both the php_gd.so and gd.so versions :(

> Some system config info in case it's useful:
>
> Linux 2.4.29 (Slackware 10.1)
> Apache 1.3.33
> PHP 4.3.10
> Mapserver 4.4.1
> GD 2.0.33
> PROJ 4.4.9
>
> Any assistance will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Paul