[Chameleon] ExpressionBuilder: 2 GetMap requests

Bart van den Eijnden bartvde at xs4all.nl
Tue Mar 8 15:08:58 EST 2005

Hi list,

I was just thinking about one thing. Currently the Chameleon
ExpressionBuilder needs 2 GetMap requests in order to draw a selection.
The first, bottom-most layer is just a normal WMS layer in the normal
style defined on the server, the top-most layer is the selection displayed
eg in red using SLD UserStyle.

I was re-studying the SLD spec and this should be possible with only 1
GetMap request, I only don't know if Mapserver support this .... but Paul
or Assefa might know?

You can combine a UserStyle with a NamedStyle in an SLD, where you use the
NamedStyle default (which is advertized by Mapserver WMS in the
capabilities). An example from the SLD spec (the namedstyle is drawn at
the bottom):

<StyledLayerDescriptorversion="1.0.0"><NamedLayer><Name>Roads</Name><UserStyle><FeatureStyleType><Rule><LineSymbolizer><Geometry><ogc:PropertyName>center-line</ogc:PropertyName></Geometry><Stroke><CssParametername="stroke">#aaaaff</CssParameter><CssParametername="stroke-width">5.0</CssParameter></Stroke></LineSymbolizer></Rule></FeatureTypeStyle></UserStyle><NamedStyle><Name>default</Name></NamedStyle></NamedLayer></StyledLayerDescriptor>

Any thoughts?