[Chameleon] Performance measuring question

Delfos, Jacob jacob.delfos at maunsell.com
Wed Apr 12 19:46:38 EDT 2006

Dejan,

It depends very much on your hardware, but I find rasters are mostly the
culprit (unless your vector layers are more than 20MB) on systems that
have normal hard-drives (IDE or ATA, not SCSI). People running server
hardware get better performance for TIF's, because their harddisks are
very fast, and they like to reduce load on the CPU. However, I find that
on 'normal' machines with 1 harddisk the performance of ECW's is
significantly better. If I were you I'd experiment with compressing your
TIF's into 1 ECW file, and see what happens. Your image will probably be
only 30-50MB. Particularly in a situation where all 12 TIF's need to be
drawn, you may be better off with one ECW file. We get great redrawing
times even with 2.5GB ecw's on a normal harddisk. Obviously this will go
down as users increase, because of increased loan on the CPU.

Regards,

Jacob