[Chameleon] Map file data read from database

Carlo Tronnberg temp at chello.hu
Sun Apr 23 19:16:08 EDT 2006

Dear List!

I got the task to implement a web user management system where each user can access a customized map server and modify some of the map settings.
There are different groups and roles in each group. Some are local administrators for their groups and can create and modify the privileges and the basic settings of the map server for their users. All users can modify/customize their own settings and save them in the database.

For this reason I estimate the only way is to solve this through a database. Since I am already using PostgreSQL for my PostGIS layers, the choice of database is trivial.

The user will have to login before he/she can access the system, thus the user is known at loading the map files.

Question: Has anyone created such a system to read some (or all) data from a database to memory instead of the map file? If so, how could this be done?

Maybe a default map file should be supplied and the values replaced with values from the database before the "$oApp->CWCExecute();" call in the .phtml file?

I have found several allusions to this topic in the forums but never found a real practical help.

I hope somebody can help me with this.

Greetings,

Carlo Trönnberg