[Chameleon] How to implement query of a WMS/WFS server from a Chameleon client?

erik erik1969 at mailhaven.com
Wed Mar 15 16:06:36 EST 2006

Hello,

I have a "3-tier" mapserver configuration. On the database side I have a Mapserver 4.6 CGI that fetches data from Oracle and publish the data via WMS. Then I have another machine running latest version of Chameleon with PHPMapscript 4.8.1, and this is configured as a WMS client and fetches data from the other server. Everything working ok for standard map browsing.

I tried to implement spatial point queries in the Chameleon setup by defining the TEMPLATE parameter in the mapfile of my Chameleon app. I figured the WMS server would just return some HTML instead of a map since I have set the "wms_feature_info_mime_type" parameter to "text/html".  But this causes PHP to chrash instantly.

The "WMS-client Howto" says that applications can use the Mapscript method layer.getWMSFeatureInfoURL() to get access to queried features directly.But I am having problem in understanding where to start and where to inject my code with this method into the Chameleon environment. Do I need to write my own Widget to do this? Should I try to build on the Widget which is allready there for feature query?
If I just want to write my own PHP code that generates the necessary Mapscript server code and additional Javascript client code, where is it best to do this?

  erik