[Chameleon] Manage WMS Servers widget shows "cache_mlt" errors, results in no WMS data layers

Julien-Samuel Lacroix jlacroix at mapgears.com
Mon May 8 11:43:47 EDT 2006

Hi,

I think Paul did the metadataURL changes so he may probably comment
further. Here's some hints.

The code that parses the capabilities file and fill the DBFs is built to
use the PHP/extension or the wmsparse.exe if they are available (in that
order). If none of those are, the it falls back to the slooooow PHP
parsing functions. The extension or the wmsparse utility does not
replace all the code in server_data_manager.php, only the code in the
parseCapabilities() function.

The Chameleon extension is simply a pure copy of the wmsparse. The
difference is that it loads the functions in PHP, this allow you to use
the wmsparse on a IIS server without getting security warning.

I think the right way to fix that bug would be to modify the PHP parsing
to support the metadataURL functionality since the others seems to work.
Note that I strongly suggest anyone that want the WMSBrowser widget in
their application to use the wmsparse utility. It is a lot more faster.
It is supposed to be there on windows at:
/ms4w/apps/chameleon/htdocs/common/wmsparse/win32/wmsparse.exe

Hope that help
Julien

Delfos, Jacob wrote:
> Hi Bart,
>

>>>do I get it correctly that these lines of code are only executed if:
>>>1) the Chameleon php module cannot be found/loaded
>>>2) the wmsparse utility cannot be found
>

> Well, I'm not *entirely* sure :) All I know is:
>
> - currently, the 'out of the box' setting causes it to use wmsparse.exe
> in Windows (also, the php extension is not compiled on Windows, making
> wmsparse.exe a lot more attractive). If it can't find wmsparse/wmsparse,
> it defaults to wmsparse.exe on Win32.
> - those lines I mentioned are wrong, because those fieldnames are
> skipped when the array is built. So there's no way that if the array
> misses those entries, that a valid record can be added to a DBF that has
> those fields. I do not understand why that would not cause a problem
> when using the extension. Does using the extension mean that
> server_data_manager.php does not get used at all? Does the capab.dbf
> file get populated by the extension?
>
> I'm not comfortable making the corrections until I know for sure it
> doesn't mess up the "WMS extension" scenario.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jacob

Julien-Samuel Lacroix
Mapgears