[Chameleon] DMSG Premiere and Ongoing investment in Open Source

Dave McIlhagga dmcilhagga at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Oct 3 15:44:33 EDT 2006

Hi everyone,

(apologies for cross-posting)

As many of you may have already heard, we at DM Solutions recently
launched DMSG Premiere - our commercial support service for MapServer,
MapGuide and other open source web mapping technologies.

http://www.dmsolutions.ca/premiere/

This announcement has been very well received, however there has been
some concern and confusion expressed over the implications for our
continuing support of the community.  Addressing this issue is the
purpose of this email.

DMSG Premiere is an important step in terms of offering broader support
for open source technologies for organizations that require the
insurance that a company will back-up the technology for them. It
provides an effective means for us to provide corporate support for the
technology in a similar way that Red Hat and other companies
successfully do for their respective technologies.

Our belief is that by broadening access to open source web mapping to
communities less familiar with open source technologies, our ability to
re-invest in these technologies will in fact increase, not shrink. Our
on-going interaction with the open source community has been
instrumental to developing high quality technology and an active user
base. Neglecting to continue our work with the community would not only
hurt the technology, it would also hurt our business.

Ultimately of course - this can only be judged by our actions, and not
words. I wanted to take this opportunity to re-assure the community that
we believe this is an important step forward for all open source web
mapping stakeholders, and that we will continue to invest in open source
technologies and the community, just as we have for the past seven years.

Thanks for your time.

Dave

--
Dave McIlhagga