[Chameleon] Documentation available‏ Chameleon JSAPI mode

Julien-Samuel Lacroix jlacroix at mapgears.com
Wed Jul 16 10:01:59 EDT 2008

Hi,

I must agree with Tim on this one. I still suggest to go ahead with the
Chameleon and the JSAPI in some cases, but mostly with already existing
application and when no custom widgets are considered.

If you want to extend Chameleon and you don't have an application yet,
it may be better to go with Fusion (MapServer or MapGuide) or a plain
OpenLayers application.

If you already have a Chameleon application and want to add the JSAPI
mode, then look at the other widgets for examples. The first thing to
read is the following tutorial on how to build widgets:

http://chameleon-tiki.maptools.org/tiki-index.php?page=Developing+a+new+Chameleon+Widget

Once you have your functionality working, you'll add the JSAPI support.
Basicly it's adding some code in UpdateMap.php and adding a javacscript
function to call UpdateMap.php. Look at the MapTips, QuickZoom and
WMSBrowser widgets for good examples.

Julien

Nolte, Tim wrote:
> Honestly, I don't know if you want to bother with trying to use JSAPI mode in Chameleon. That was my original goal about a year ago, and while I did get some help with getting some things to work there are really too many widgets that don't work right in JSAPI mode. I basically abandoned trying to go with JSAPI mode. I'm now moving our MapServer to the Fusion(MapGuide) framework. So far I've been able to get just about everything I needed that was standard in about a day. I still need to build a couple of my own custom widgets (yes they are called that there too). The amount of documentation still seems a little sparse, but not really that much more than Chameleon is. The other thing about Fusion is that it is a JavaScript/AJAX application right out of the box, and it has very active development. There hasn't been a new release of Chameleon for the last 10 months, so I don't see there being much of an active community of developers. You'll find Fusion at:
>
> 	http://trac.osgeo.org/fusion
>

> ----
> Timothy J Nolte - tnolte at ilpcs.com
> Network Planning Engineer