[Chameleon] Relating Identify/Query Button in Chameleon with PostGIS/PostgreSQL Data

donny wicaks donnywicaks at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 13 14:21:28 EDT 2008

Hello, my name is Donny Wicaksono, from Indonesia

I'm developing a web-gis, I use Windows as operating system, I use ms4w 2.2.6 with Apache 2.2.4, PHP 5.2.4 and Chameleon 2.4.
for database, i use PostgreSQL

I have difficulties, and i really hope that I can get any help from any of you in this mailing list.

This is what i have already done:
1. I have a shapefile map of region map, and tabular data consist of text data and coordinates data.

2. I have successfully stored the data in Postgre. The shapefile map and tabular data. The coordinates data are stored in geometry type in database.

3. I use Chameleon as the map engine, and I have successfully displayed the shp map as base map, integrated with coordinates data. So I have the base map and points overlaid on it.

4. I use and modify the existing files in Chameleon: sample_enhanced.html and sample_enhanced.phtml (and then I save it in another name) and I make a .map file and named it chameleon.map ( just in case to avoid error if I use another .map file name)..

My difficulties are:
When I use the Identify Button (Query function), that has already existed in Chameleon interface, the result shows information from the same table where I put coordinates data in it.

For clearly: I have many tables in my Postgre database. In one table named "accident_case", I put fields: "case_id", "date", "time" and "coordinates".
When I run Identify/Query button in Chameleon, it results only case_id, date and time. It means it only results the information from the same table where the coordinates data stored.
But I need to query more and display information from other tables in my database.

My questions are:
1. How can I connect/relate the existing Identify Button in Chameleon with my Postgre database? So I can arrange my query and display certain information that I need to be displayed.
What files needed to be modified in Chameleon for it?
Because when I open directory "C:\ms4w\apps\chameleon\htdocs\widgets" in Chameleon, there are many files related to Query Function. I can not trace which file links to what file that makes the Query Function works.
And what are the codes for modifying the files?
Which codes for what file should I modify?

2. Or can I add another Query Button in Chameleon for another query? I'm thinking of making separate queries for my application. Is it possible to do? If possible, what should I do for it?

I think that's my diffuculties for now. Any helps will be highly appreciated.

Thank You

Donny Wicaksono