[FGS] Location of support libs and headers

Tyler Mitchell tjmitchell at riverside.bc.ca
Tue Jul 27 11:22:45 EDT 2004

> Should we not keep a copy of all the support libs that we use under the
> FGS tree, perhaps in a FGS source tree,

That is the idea we have been aiming for.

> and get rid of all development
> libs and includes in the /usr/lib and /usr/include system directories? I
> fear that if someone upgrades a lib in the system directories then we
> will end up compiling new packages against a different versions of
> header files than what was used for older packages before the upgrade,
> which will potentially lead to runtime crashes.

That would be ideal for the purposes of this project but would affect the
server which is running a production Apache, GDAL, MapServer, PostGIS
installation.  We have those system libs for a reason beyond this project.

> I think we'll find more of those kind of problems as we go, so let's see
> if there really is a problem or if I just misunderstood the way you've
> been doing your builds and we'll go from there.

I would prefer to be running something like user mode linux on this box
with little to no extraneous libs installed.  That would be the best way
to create the dumbest base system for testing purposes.  If you do notice
something odd about the system itself, I can fix it, but we are aiming to
have everything needed included in the base fgs package.  I can't speak to
what Frank has done, but thanks for the sleuthing.

Tyler