[FGS] Location of support libs and headers

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jul 27 12:04:18 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

> That would be ideal for the purposes of this project but would affect the
> server which is running a production Apache, GDAL, MapServer, PostGIS
> installation.  We have those system libs for a reason beyond this project.

Actually I meant removing the "development" part of the system libs, but
leaving the runtime libs there. So all your apps would continue to run
the same way as before.

This is what RedHat does for instance when they distribute every package
  as package.rpm and package-dev.rpm: package.rpm contains only the
runtime stuff (e.g. libpng.so.3), and package-dev.rpm contains the
header files (e.g. png.h), the .so files for linking (e.g. libpng.so),
and possibly the package's config script (e.g. libpng-config). Note that
the .so files are used only at link time. At run time it's the .so.x
files that are used.

> I would prefer to be running something like user mode linux on this box
> with little to no extraneous libs installed.  That would be the best way
> to create the dumbest base system for testing purposes.

Yup, that would definitely be best.

> If you do notice
> something odd about the system itself, I can fix it, but we are aiming to
> have everything needed included in the base fgs package.

There is nothing bad about the system itself: it's just that if we want
it to build clean packages then we have to prevent the system libs from
interfering with our builds, and the only way I know to do that is to
remove the development header files, config script and .so/.a files from
the system directories for the libs we use (jpeg, png, etc.) and use
local copies instead.  Having everything local under the FGS tree will
also help insure that we can reproduce exactly the same builds on
another box with less efforts.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca