[FGS] Preliminary mapserver package

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Jul 27 12:28:33 EDT 2004

Tyler Mitchell wrote:

>>To finish, you need to run fgsinstall-mapserver.sh. This script adds
>>LD_LIBRARY_PATH in apache conf and installs mapserv cgi in the
>>/var/www/cgi-bin directory.
>

> I too am nervous about a script that modifies apache conf, especially since
> we're running on a test server that has a production apache setup running :)

Actually, it doesn't modify the main httpd.conf. What Guillaume's script
does is create a fgs-mapserver.conf in Apache's /etc/httpd/conf.d/
directory. Next time the server is started this file is included and the
MapServer config is loaded. Of course the impact is the same if you're
doing this on a production server.

I just realized that setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH this way is global to the
web server, so that may cause side-effects on other CGI's running on the
same server.

> I'd love to see us try out a stand-alone web server just for this project.
> Anyway ideas?

That may be the only option to have a self-contained distribution, and
if we do it then I would vote for using Apache, perhaps we could/should
build our own lite version and distribute it as a FGS package, running
on port 8080. The reason to go with Apache is that this is what most
systems use, that's what most people are used to configuring, and if you
start configuring your local FGS package it will be easy to port (copy)
your config to your real live server later on.

Daniel
  Daniel Morissette               dmorissette at dmsolutions.ca