[FGS] Preliminary mapserver package

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Tue Jul 27 14:02:34 EDT 2004

Daniel Morissette wrote:
>> I'd love to see us try out a stand-alone web server just for this
>> project.  Anyway ideas?
>>

> That may be the only option to have a self-contained distribution, and
> if we do it then I would vote for using Apache, perhaps we could/should
> build our own lite version and distribute it as a FGS package, running
> on port 8080. The reason to go with Apache is that this is what most
> systems use, that's what most people are used to configuring, and if you
> start configuring your local FGS package it will be easy to port (copy)
> your config to your real live server later on.

Daniel,

How big is Apache?  I am concerned that packaging up Apache is going to
significantly complicating things when the only thing we want to be able
to do is run cgi's which is pretty simple.

However, I don't feel to strongly one way or the other as long as we have
some sort of web server available.