[FGS] Is mapserver list down/Blocking mail?

Nicolas Boretos nicolas at maich.gr
Wed Jul 28 03:54:08 EDT 2004

Hi,
Is the ms list down, or blocking  (my)mail?
Sent this to the lust yesteday and it bounced...
Maybe someone can forward...

Christopher R. Thorne wrote:

> What you are looking for is to build a discovery portal. The fgdc
> offers the framework to build your personnel community. Along with
> connecting your community with all others. http://www.fgdc.gov/
>
> Fgdc offers a free metadata server (Isite).

Hi,
We did some stuff like this years ago with origial Isite
distro...Problem was, we were the only node in our area...;-(
Most of these discovery portals/clearinghouses are Z39.50 based,
IMHO...Below is some Z39.50 based indexers/search engines..
Isite2,  from Archie Warnock's site...
   ftp://ftp.awcubed.com/pub/Software/Isite2/
IB-WebCat from BSN
   http://www.bsn.com
The yaz toolkit, or the Zebra distribution from Indexdata
   http://www.indexdata.dk/yaz/
   http://www.indexdata.dk/zebra/

I wonder as to how much interest there would be to add meta-data
index/search functionality to Mapserver? And at what level of
integration, C level, external app, scripting...?
We are working on a project that will try to integrate metadata services
with webmapping....
Additionally, does anyone know if is the ESRI metadata stuff stuff being
used extensively?

regards,
nicolas boretos

Now for MapServer holds metadata information based on the Open GIS
Consortium WMS/WFS standards , which can be published within the FGDC
framework.
http://www.opengis.org/
http://www.opengis.org/specs/?page=specs

http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/doc42/wms-server-howto.html