[FGS] --rpath

Frank Warmerdam warmerdam at pobox.com
Fri Jun 18 11:16:37 EDT 2004

Folks,

I notice that a default build of GDAL is emitting a bunch of --rpath
directives to the linker.  This basically indicates directories that should
be searched before consulting the LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable.

I think this is a problem for us since we sometimes need to force our kit
to use newer versions of libraries with the same name as system libraries
(such as libtiff.so.3).  The --rpath stuff is causing /usr/lib/libtiff.so.3
to be used instead of the one we are supplying in my first "package" test.

So far the only library I have noticed doing this --rpath badness is GDAL
and I have emailed the fellow who maintains the libtool magic to see if
there is something we can do.  But I wanted everyone to start thinking about
these issues, and if they have them to make suggestions on how to work around
it.