[FGS] Fw: GIS suite

Tyler Mitchell tjmitchell at riverside.bc.ca
Fri Jun 18 11:32:56 EDT 2004

Frank, can you check that Nicolas got subscribed okay?  He's done some
great stuff over the years that I've known him re: packaging.

----- Forwarded by Tyler Mitchell/Lignum on 06/18/2004 08:31 AM -----

Nicolas Boretos <nicolas at maich.gr>
06/18/2004 05:50 AM

Tyler Mitchell <TMitchell at lignum.com>
cc

Fax to

Subject
Re: GIS suite

Hi,

This bounced back to me when I posted to the foss list (I registered
earlier...)
Maybe you post on my behalf...

Hi Tyler, Frank, et.al,

I registered on the twiki and this list on Tyler's rec.

The objective of this group as I understand it is to easily deploy
mapping applications,
whether ms, web, or other..

Is this correct?
If this is correct, it also coincides with my objectives of  easy
deployment.

I've been a long time Tcl user, and a "general scripting advocate".
These last few years, I'm a subscriber to the "dual ported" philosophy
of sw dev, meaning
script when you can, and call external libs,c,c++, fortran for
speed/special cases...

In tcl land, I use starkit/starpack technology for deployment, where a
developer ships
either
a static, single file tcl interpreter, and a single file of the app
logis/libs/etc...(starkit).
or
both the interp and the logic are delivered as a single file....(starpack)

This approach was developed by JC Whippler, and is detailed more at his
starkit creators site
http://www.equi4.com/starkit

I've used this approach in many cases, and have "never" seen any
deployment issues.
Most of our end users are "bio" scientists that have no real computer
skills (read no install..)
A couple of years ago, I sent Tyler an ms cdrom that used this approach,
and AFAIR, there was no real problem with
deployment at least...

I believe that similar "wrapping" type of technology is available for
Python as well, Gordon MacMillan???

Anyway, back to foss..

I agree that distro's should be fat;
I feel apps should be statically linked (either works or it doesnt)

Regarding MS, I think my recommended approach would be to include a
simple web server (not necessarily apache)
meaning ms cgi should run w/o problem (statically linked...) A simple
config interface should be included...
Said server should be able to run the PHP stuff, as the DM stuff I've
seen is incredible..
Is anyone running the pythonmapscript stuff? If so, webserver should run
it...

Where is foss heading wrt desktop apps?

anyway, I'll stop here and wait for some feedback....

regards,

nicolas