[FGS] End-User objective

Yves Moisan ymoisan at groupesm.com
Mon Jun 21 09:26:36 EDT 2004

Hi All,

Not that I am ready to hack on code like you guys do yet, but here is a site that may be of interest in setting up the FOSS-GIS suite : http://ortho.mit.edu/mitorthoserver/.  The site tells developers/users how to set up a MITOrthoServer.  MITOrthoServer really is like MapServer plus a few raster processing utilities from what I can see.  What I like from it, though I haven't tried to set up a MITOrthoServer myself, is that steps are clear as to how one sets up a server.  The key aspect for me is the idea that one can set up an MITOrthoServer of their own that becomes part of a network of such servers.

For the server side aspect of FOSS-GIS, this may be an interesting site to consider.  Personally, I see a bunch of "geodata servers" -- those servers could be any OGC compliant servers (MITOrthoServer is apparently OGC 1.0) --  or some sort of data broker that would fetch data from geodata servers and a GIS desktop.  Do I understand well the FOSS-GIS idea as being a vertical solution all the way from geodata serving to data analysis ?  In this case, it would be nice to have a choice to install either a "FOSS-geoserver layer" and/or a "FOSS geodata broker layer" and/or a "FOSS GIS desktop layer".  If pieces could be decoupled, then it would be possible to set up a web of geoservers and geoclients (e.g in university labs).  And maybe when a clearer idea of a geodata broker (WSDL/UDDI/GML ?) shapes up it can be implemented as a FOSS-GIS layer.

Just my 2 cents.

Yves Moisan